January 27, 2006

Googling turtles...

Door in downtown McCarthy, © Janelle Meraz Hooper

1-27-06- Here’s another shot in downtown McCarthy, Alaska. The weather has been so wet that I haven’t been able to get out around here to take pictures. Tomorrow, you may see a photo of my TV, because that’s about all I’ve seen this month.

Google- I’m still waiting to see who will win, Bush or Google. Once, I spent all day Googling turtles, so I’m in a sweat, LOL. Even so, I’m hoping Google doesn’t give in.

Custer- Custer and His Naked Ladies is taking up a lot of my time. Every time I think I’m about done, I decide to tweak it a little more. A lot of writers hate to rewrite, but it's my favorite part of writing.

Oprah- Oprah rocks! Her show yesterday where she grilled James Frey on his A Million Little Pieces was cathartic for all independent writers. Earlier this month, there was a New York Times article about publishers and editors in the mainstream end of publishing not being able to recognize a good paragraph when they read one. The truth is, I think they do. It’s just that they’re looking at manuscripts through their wallets. They saw Frey’s book and the sweet smell of money overcame the reek of lies. AND, they were sure they’d get away with it. Guess they didn’t count on Oprah getting ticked! (I did send Oprah an email saying she should have reviewed my book. It’s ALL BS, and she wouldn’t have had any trouble with it!)

Quote du jour:
"My main reason for adopting literature as a profession was that, as the author is never seen by his clients, he need not dress respectably." George Bernard Shaw
(I was delighted to find this quote as another writer and I have a conscience about how we look during the day...so we wear our best jewelry with our sweats.)

No comments: