January 22, 2006

A free keffiyeh with every book order!

Downtown McCarthy, Alaska, © Janelle Meraz Hooper

1-22-06- The photo is of a business in downtown McCarthy, Alaska that I took several years ago. It's right outside the Kennicott Copper Mine. The ore was sent to the Asarco foundry in Tacoma, Washington. A side-product of the copper ore was gold, but it was kept quiet for years. Maybe, I'll post a picture of the mine tomorrow.
Miss America- All right! Finally, some respect! Congratulations, Jennifer Berry, who was elected Miss Oklahoma 2006 last night in Las Vegas. Woo-hoo!
Leopard geckos-My morning paper had an ad from a local pet store offering leopard geckos on sale. Everything I know about geckos I learned from that insurance ad on TV. I love that little green lizard, but my enthusiasm for the new pet totally evaporated when I scanned down to see that gecko food was also on sale---wait for it---crickets and worms! EEEK! I’m looking for a pet that will grow and be healthy on a diet of unbuttered popcorn…
New York Times Best Sellers- Okay, some of you still haven’t read my books. I know that because The DA Vinci Code by Dan Brown is still near the top of the list. That book has been on the best-seller list for so long that the numbers are higher than our total population. What, are some of you buying and reading it for the 10th time?! Are you using it to steady wobbly tables? Read something else, will you? I promise you, the book ends the same way every time.
Osama’s Book Club- Since my books haven’t been tapped for Oprah’s Book Club, I’m going to see if I can get on Osama’s. I hear he’s giving away a free keffiyeh with every book order (put my name on a red one). William Blum’s book, A Rogue State: A Guide to the World’s Only Superpower is doing very well after Osama picked it.
Custer- Speaking about books, I’d better do some work on mine: Custer and His Naked Ladies.

Quote du jour:
"Garbage in, garbage out." computer saying

No comments: