December 23, 2005

Thank you, Oprah...

Russian Christmas ornament, © Janelle Meraz Hooper

12-26-05-
Christmas-
Okay, so Christmas Day is over, but there’s still plenty of Christmas left. I’m delaying picking up the living room that is still littered with bits of wrapping paper and ribbon. A blue paper airplane is resting on the floor near the tree—a bit short of it’s runway in the branches. Sometimes, I just dust around these reminders for days, and Christmas rolls on until my husband either declares the tree a fire hazard, or it’s the first of January. But until then, I still have a generous supply of Christmas cookies and homemade fudge and Christmas carols on the CD player.

Hanukkah-Hanukkah began at sundown last night, celebrating the miracle of the oil in ancient times when the Greeks ruined the oil and there wasn’t enough to burn in the menorahs. Miraculously, the scant amount of oil they had for the menorahs burned for eight days—long enough to make new oil. That’s why Hanukkah lasts for eight days, as long as the oil did centuries ago. I always wondered what kind of oil was used for the wicks in ancient times. Finally, I read that it was olive oil. So, Happy Hanukkah! To all my Jewish friends. Light the candles! Oh—I hear that, nowadays, a lot of families use electric menorahs!

Kwanzaa*- It was so small on my calendar that I almost missed it, but Kwanzaa begins today, and goes on until January 1st. Today is also Boxing Day. Are we having fun, or what?!
*I did not misspell Kwanzaa--it has an extra "a" in this country--in Africa, it's Kwanza. I wonder if they feel cheated?

Quote du jour:

"Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission." Eleanor Roosevelt

12-25-05-

LOL: I planned my quote du jour last week so I could post it this morning and get back to our Christmas tree as quickly as possible. I was very content with my choice. After the presents were unwrapped, I opened our Tacoma News Tribune and what did I see? The same quote! Oh, well, I guess you can't outwit the pros...

Merry Christmas!

Quote du jour:

"God bless us, every one!" Tiny Tim, Scrooge

12-23-05-It's almost Christmas! I'm filled with a sense of awe when I look at our Christmas tree, and a ripple of pure joy moves over our oak floors. I awoke this morning and the first thoughts I had were of the people in my life that I'm so thankful for. I won't embarrass them by mentioning them here. They know who they are. I had another thought that surprised me: I'm thankful for Oprah! She is such a treasure, and I'm moved to tears at the way she generously helps so many people. We'll most certainly never have another person in this country who is so multi-faceted...one day, she's giving book bags filled with school supplies to African children--the next, she's showing American women how to get a good-fitting bra! How funny is that?! So, thank you Oprah, for all you do. You are an inspiration to all of us.

LOL: Someone told me yesterday that a copy of one of my books, As Brown As I Want, The Indianhead Diaries, is for sale on e-bay for $9.69. Why do I feel as if I've finally made it?!

Quote du jour:
“Be the change you want to see in the world.”- Gandhi

No comments: