December 23, 2005

The Japanese Wes Studi!

Snowman sculpture, © Joyce Stevens, 2005
12-22-05-
On my bed table-I have finished Tonya Holmes Shook's The Drifters. I was so delighted to read about something different than what's on the mainstream front tables at the fancy bookstores. Who cares about what Hollywood star is in drug treatment or what politician sailed to Bimini with a wanabee starlet? Give me something with a good story and some teeth in it! I've been talking about Tonya's story for days. In case you've missed it, her historical fiction is about a people in America called the Melungeons (not to be confused with the muggles in Harry Potter!). Their ancestors were once the slaves of the Vikings who used them to help colonize the new world. Eventually, they intermingled with the Native Americans.
On my DVD machine-I have found the Japanese Magua (Wes Studi). Want to see him? He is in Akura Kurosawa’s Seven Samurai (1954). It’s a terrific movie, but at 3:28 minutes, I’m hesitant to recommend it! Note: Wes Studi played Magua in The Last of the Mohicans (and many other roles).

Quote du jour:
"Writers should afflict the comfortable and comfort the afflicted." Unknown

No comments: