February 15, 2006

The State Rock of Oklahoma

Whatcha Readin’?

2-15-06-It’s a great day to buy a book!

Dick Cheney- Let’s not go there and pretend we did. What a loser!

Custer and His Naked Ladies- I’ve been working on the last turtle in my turtle trilogy. I really get bogged down in the research, most of which I’ll never use in the book. It’s sort of like my cutting a piece watermelon—the piece is never big enough. That’s okay when you’re eating watermelon, but in novel-writing, you have to make choices. For instance, in my case, no one will care about the barite roses and how they were formed when the shallow seas drained through the red sandstone rocks millions of years ago. I know I’ll end up cutting it…but they are The State Rock of Oklahoma, you know…

Writers tip-In the movie Wonder Boys, in which Michael Douglas plays an English professor, there’s a wonderful line by one of his students when she reads his latest manuscript. She says he didn’t make choices. And it’s so true. It takes discipline to make the right choices for a book, you shouldn’t put in every idea you have. Make choices. If it doesn’t move the plot along, cut it! In my case, I asked myself, “Are you writing a novel or a science report?”

The OWFI (Oklahoma Writers Federation, Inc.)- There's an excitement in the air that can't be blamed on spring. It's the yearly OWFI's annual book contest. My writer friends are holding their breath and the email chatter between us rivals a nest of baby birds waiting for breakfast. What did you enter? Who do you think will win? What will you enter next year? Are you going to the conference? Who cares if it's sunny outside?!

Books at the top of the page-
A Three-Turtle Summer, the first book in the turtle trilogy
As Brown As I Want, The Indianhead Diaries, the second book in the turtle trilogy
Free Pecan Pie and Other Chick Stories- (short stories)
Custer and His Naked Ladies-The third book in the turtle trilogy, in progress
Quote du jour:
"My second favorite household chore is ironing. My first being, hitting my head on the top bunk bed until I faint." -Erma Bombeck-

No comments: