February 01, 2006

Our little canary in D. C.

Washing rhubarb, © Janelle Meraz Hooper

1-01-06-The watercolor is of my husband. I got the idea from the perspective I had looking down at him from our deck. For you Southerners, a deck is like a porch, only we usually put it on the back of the house instead of the front. We seldom cover them, because we’re heavily into fantasy. We just leave the whole pile of expensive cedar to the weather, hoping—foolishly—that maybe it won’t rain on it.

At last! February!- We’re moving ever closer to the first day of spring training. “Play ball!” just may be two of the most beautiful words in the English language. After chocolate, of course.

Cindy Sheehan-Poor Cindy, she’s a victim of her heart and courage. I felt so bad for her last night before the State of the Union Address. I’m on her side (now don’t say it’s the left side. Just because someone doesn’t agree with our President doesn’t mean we’re on the left side.). There’s not much I wouldn’t forgive Cindy for. I just wish she hadn’t worn that anti-war tee-shirt to the State of the Union Address.
But she’s not alone. Lately, I’ve wondered if it is too late to dig up Emily Post. Everywhere I look, I see lapses of etiquette. First, it was those women athletes who wore flip-flops to the White House. Then, it was the President’s daughter going braless in a tight dress with no stockings to a state affair. And then last night. I love Cindy, but that was not the place for an anti-war tee-shirt.
Everywhere I go, I’m surprised by our tackiness. Do we do the same things when we go abroad? People! It is not proper to walk down the street with your fingers latched onto your girlfriend’s bra strap! We do not exchange deep throat DNA at the mall. At least, I wish we wouldn’t. We do not floss in restaurants, and then leave the floss on our plate. All right, I made that one up, but you get the idea.

Back to Cindy-She has a right to protest. She has a right to be in the audience of a state address if she’s invited. But in those situations, she should show respect for the presidency, even if she doesn’t show respect for the man. That means no tee-shirt! An occasion like a state address demands dress attire. Besides, she didn’t need the tee-shirt. Just her presence drowned out the president';s speech. I was glad to see her there. She's sort of like our little canary--if she ever disappears, I'll be afraid that free speech has gone with her. Remember, Senator Fulbright's "Dissent is an act of faith."

Quote du jour:
“Finishing a book is just like you took a child out in the backyard and shot it.” Truman Capote, courtesy of Ginger Foglesong Guy

No comments: