March 25, 2006

A modern fairy tale...

Montana wildflowers © Janelle Meraz Hooper

3-25-06- The latest talk about immigration rules has me irked. I hope the government doesn’t think I’m going to roll my wheelchair up a ladder and pick all that fruit!

The Big White Hen
A modern fairy tale (with respect to The Little Red Hen)
by Janelle MERAZ Hooper

I have raised the fruit and vegetables. Now who will help me pick them?” said the big white hen. “Not us,” said the white chickens, “we have good jobs in the city.”
“Not us,” said the young white chickens, “we have good jobs at the mall.”
“Not us,” said the black chickens, “we have too much pride to work that hard.”
“Whatever shall I do?” asked the Big White Hen. “Without pickers, the crops will rot and I’ll lose everything I have.”
“Senor, we will help you pick your fruit and vegetables,” said the brown chickens.
“Oh, thank you,” said the big white chicken. “And because no one else will help me, I will treat you fairly, give you good pay, and not harass you at the border. I will inoculate and educate your children. I will build clean, safe migrant housing using the millions of dollars of social security funds my government has been collecting from all of you for years because you have to forge a social security number to work for me...”

Well, I said it was a fairy tale. I smell a movie!
(Oh, I'm going to get in trouble for this! )

Quote du jour:
“I will master something, then the creativity will come.” Japanese proverb, courtesy of OWFI The Report

No comments: