March 21, 2006

Horny toads and wild desert elephants...


© Janelle Meraz Hooper

3-21-06-The photo is just for fun. I think I'm becoming senile. I used to just inject one little piece of fantasy or humor in our home. Lately, pieces of humor are in every room and they're getting larger (like Bud). Speaking of Bud, I've misplaced the cables for my digital camera. He's been sitting in the same pose for weeks. Poor guy. He's a victim of poor organization and unfullfilled promises. Just like the American people (ouch, did I say that?!).
Yesterday- was the first day of spring, and what? The beginning of the third year of our war in Iraq? I’ve lost count. We’re a good people. We’re kind, giving, and compassionate. So why is it we keep electing greedy, war-mongering leaders? I just don’t get it…
Birds-Did you ever think we’d look at a sweet little bird and cringe? Bird flu is moving closer and closer, and I’m beginning to wonder if I should stop refilling my bird feeder. Children play in my yard. My husband mows that yard (for myself, I rarely get off the deck with my wheelchair).
Rant-Well, actually an anti-rant. There’s a movement asking gardeners to plant an extra row of vegetables and give the produce to the food banks. How great is that?! And so doable. Actually, I think in the case of some vegetables, like zucchini, just planting one extra plant would be plenty.
Custer- Custer and His Naked Ladies is still coming along. Years ago I asked a newspaper editor how long he wanted my assignment to be. His answer was, “When it’s done, it’s done.”
On my bed table-I’m still reading A Leap of Faith by Queen Noor. If you like autobiographies, and are interested in the Middle East, I highly recommend it.
On my DVD-A baseball movie: Angels in the Outfield. Danny Glover, Christopher Lloyd, and Tony Danza. Also, Ernest Goes to Camp with Jim Varney--I've had young company. They're both pleasers.
On my TV-Channel 68, HGTV is my new addiction. I especially love the House Hunters International show. Last night, they had a couple looking for a home in Prague, Czechoslovakia. How interesting to see how other people live. Wouldn’t it be fun to be able to sit down and talk to someone continents away? I wish they'd email me. Other locations I’ve seen: Florence, Italy; Barcelona, Spain; Paris; and London. This show is beyond cool!
Whatcha readin’?- Let me know! I’ve misplaced my emails about your books—I’ve been switching my equipment around. While I was at it, I rearranged my office, and am lucky if I can find my keyboard. Research for future books has overflowed my expansive book shelves and files. I’ve shoveled pages and pages of loose notes out of here in the last few days. Stubbornly, I’ve held onto my favorite National Geographic books and tapes. Who knows? I may write a book about baby horny toads and wild desert elephants someday. Ya never know.
Quote du jour:
"Education is the path from cocky ignorance to miserable uncertainty." -- Mark Twain, courtesy of Ginger Foglesong Guy, author

No comments: